Every time Easter comes around the mind goes, of course to eggs. Living in Africa, in big game country, the first image that comes up are of course Ostrich eggs.
Ostrich farming has now become more common in other parts of the world. Unfertile Ostrich eggs are available from such farms. They make wonderful Easter eggs if you have time, patience and imagination.
Here is a tasty recipe for your Easter brunch.
No need to be afraid that someone served it last year, because I just invented it from the ingredients I had readily available here in my kitchen on the slopes of Mount Kenya:
For 4 servings you will need:
4 extra large very hard boiled eggs
(better boil some extras as sometimes they discolor inside)
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1½ tablespoons milk
- ½ cup each of chopped onion and green sweet pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 jar best tomato relish, (you can make this hot by adding Tabasco if wanted)
- Salt and pepper to season
For the Avocados:
- Avocado pulp from 4 ripe Avocados
- 4 teaspoons of Worchester Sauce
- 1 teaspoon peanut butter
- A few drops of Tabasco sauce
- Juice of ½ Lemon
- Garlic Salt, Vegetable seasoning, a bit of nutmeg and white pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream
- Cut Avocados in half, remove nut and scoop out flesh into a blender. Set the shells aside.
- Blend the avocado pulp with all the ingredients except the cream.
- Season to taste and manually fold under the cream.
- Return this mixture to the avocado shells; make an indent in the middle
- with a tablespoon. This will later accommodate your egg halves.
Now it’s time to pop the cork on that bottle of Champagne and serve everyone a glass to enjoy while you slave on in the kitchen:
- Preheat your oven to about 350F.
- Peel and cut the hard boiled eggs in half and remove the yolks. Set the whites aside.
- Mash the 8 yolks with a fork and blend well with the other ingredients. Season to your taste. (Set some grated Cheese aside for topping).
- Fill the mixture back into the egg whites.
- Place into a non stick or greased baking dish.
- Fry onions and pepper in the butter, discard butter and mix the rest with the tomato relish, add some Tabasco if wanted.
- Pour this mixture over the eggs and top with more shredded Cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and let cool a little.
- With a large spoon insert each filled egg half into the indent of your cold avocado, garnish with some lettuce and spring greens,
- And voilà – Your perfect green eggs!!
Serve at once with some hearty crusty bread, and don’t forget More Champagne.
Happy Easter to Everybody Everywhere!